Archery is not something new. People practice archery for different purpose. Some people take the health benefits of it while others doing it for hobby. However, archery is also a sport where professional archers compete to be the best shooter. The skill to shoot by archery can be gained through practice. For your information, the word ‘archery’ comes from Latin ‘arcus’. It was used both for combat and hunting since a very long time ago. When automatic weapon like gun has not been made, bow and arrows have already been existed. Today, archery is not for combat but more like for competitive sport as well as recreational activity.
Brief history about archery and its development
People participating in archery are called archer or bowman. Aside from it, there are also people who are fanatics and skilled in archery called toxophilite. The use of bow and arrows had been identified since 10,000-9000 BC. Throughout the time, people have made bow and arrows from different materials. After being used as a weapon for war and hunting, people then took archery to societies where it had become recreational activity enjoyed the most by extravagant society. Archery was part of extravagant social and ceremonial events for the nobility. In the 1840s, archery had been turned into a modern sport. This is where archery practice is held at competition where the rules were set to meet the standard including the techniques.
Basic equipment for archery is bow and arrows. First, they are drawn by pulling the string directly. The second, they use mechanism to pull the string. There are different type of bows and arrows as well. It can be a little bit overwhelming for those who are new in this field. However, it is not something to be stressed about since it is easier to learn all about archery slowly. Everything will be comprehended eventually. To make the users easier to take the arrows, they are usually carried in a container called quiver. Different types of arrows usually have different type of quiver as well. Other necessary equipment for archery include bowstring, release aids stabilizers, and protective equipment such as bracer or an arm guard, thumb ring, glove, etc.
Technique in archery
There is a standard of the technique used in archery. However, there are different types of archery coming from different culture and country even though the principles and goals are not that different. The modern form of archery technique is a bit different because it doesn’t involve only eye and hand coordination but also the overall posture. Aside from the technique, there is also different aiming method in archery. Basically, there are two methods. First is using mechanical sight. Second is barebow. Both require different focus and posture. However, there is no limit to learn one of them or both.
How to learn archery quickly?
There are many ways to learn how to shoot arrows. Archery is something that can be learned alone. However, it is highly recommended to take an archery course so that the process of practice will be monitored and guided by professional. This way, the techniques and methods in archery can be learned safely. Thus, there won’t be any severe injury suffered from the practice. It may take a while before a person can truly master the skill. However, there is always time to improve as ‘practice makes perfect’ anyway.
Shooting an arrow looks simple but archery is not as simple as that. Even professional archers know nothing about how to shoot properly in the beginning. However, archery has no limit in age or gender. You can start learning archery anytime. You can do archery for any reason. Some people learn it to become a professional athlete, others do it as hobby, and there are also people who do it as stress reliever. However, it is highly recommended to learn archery seriously since it benefits your health as well.
Here are tips to get started with archery that every beginner needs:
- Decide your archery goal. As mentioned above that people learn archery for different reasons. If you aim world championship then you need to have great determination from the very first start. However, learning archery for fun doesn’t mean you take it less seriously. Goal helps you to set the pace and the path so you can learn efficiently.
- Find the right coach. It is highly recommended to get a coach to train you instead of self-learning. A certified coach will guide and teach you how to do archery properly with the right techniques. Thus, you can avoid unnecessary injury. You can ask a local archery shop, situs bola 88 or friends for recommendation.
- Technique and equipment are important things to consider when you get started with archery. Techniques will help you how to shoot properly with the right form and posture. Equipment is also important and you need to choose the one that fit your size, eye-dominance, etc. the right equipment will help you learn archery more effectively.
- When you are going to learn archery, make sure that you not compare yourself to professional athlete and such. You can choose a certain archer as your role model but it doesn’t mean you copy them blindly. It is better to be yourself and find your own style.
- Passion and patience are also important when you get started with archery. Shooting is easy but hitting target is not. You need to practice more and more before skillfully hitting the target without a miss. With passion, you will stay motivated to learn and get better. With patience, you will improve your focus and determination. However, it is also important to have fun especially when it is your first time learning archery. Missing a target in the first time doesn’t mean you will always fail. Remember that practice makes perfect.
The popularity of archery keeps rising especially after the characters in box office movies attracted people by their archery acting skill. Now, people are more interested in archery lesson. Archery is art, sport, skills or practice which is accessible for everyone.
Even if you just practice archery as your hobby or recreational activity, you still get the positive results in which improving your health. Just like any other sports, archery gives health benefits in many ways.
Archery is for everyone.
Kids and adults can take archery lesson as they wish. There is no harm in learning archer. In fact, it gives health benefits even when you do it for fun or recreational game. Here are some of health benefits of archery you will gain by doing it regularly with proper techniques:
- Archery helps you building your strength. It is not only about the strength of your arm but the overall body including core, arms, shoulders, and chest. Your body muscle will be required to maintain the tension before releasing the arrow. This will results in muscle development especially of your upper body. Even though it is not as intense as weightlifting, archery is a good sport to maintain your overall health.
- Archery also helps to reduce stress. While practicing archery, your brain will focus on how to hit the target. This will help you to concentrate while removing all distractions. It helps you to maintain your concentration and focus to face high-pressure situation. Releasing arrow can be a great way to release all burden and stress figuratively.
- Archery helps you to improve hand-eye coordination. Archery requires great coordination between your hand and eyes at the same time. Performing different task is not easy for the body. However, this practice will help you to gain great coordination and balance. While practicing archery, you need to balance your body and make the perfect posture to hit the target. It helps your core to gain better control of your body’s balance.
- Another important benefit of archery is to build your patience. Archery is said to be easy lesson but difficult to perfect. That is why it takes time before someone can hit the target perfectly. It is fun as well as frustrating activity. However, it helps you to build your patience. It is good to manage your emotional state. It also helps to make you become more determine in reaching your goals in life since you learn how to be patience during archery.